8.14.2011

a second chance.


i fell in love with the brontes at a very young age.  i always held jane austen far beneath them in my esteem because she didn't seem dark enough and was "too fluffy".   i read all of her greats, but quickly tossed them aside.  well, despite myself, i managed to watch a bit of the newest version, and found myself a little intrigued at some of the nuances and story lines.  *a note aside- i am not a kiera knightley fan.  why does she have to smile so much?*  despite this distraction, i immediately re-read the book...and loved it.  i'm now going through all of them and enjoying them immensely (and finding them to be quite well written).  my first love will always be the bronte sisters, but it has been nice to rediscover jane austen. 
so, thank you kiera.  if it weren't for your cheeky smile i might not have given her a second chance. 

3 comments:

  1. As it happens, I just started reading Pride and Prejudice! I wanted to read it for two reasons:
    1) I fell in love with the movie as well as the BBC mini-series
    2) I want to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I want to be able to compare it to the original.
    I don't know if you've seen these, but yes, they have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, as well as Sense and Sensibility and Seamonsters. I started reading the latter and it's great. It has the original Austen text, but with this outrageous subplot thrown in having to do with the world's sea creatures becoming monsters and attacking humans. I laughed out loud a few times in just the first few pages.
    I'm afraid I haven't read any Bronte novels except Wuthering Heights. They are definitely on my list though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY need to get back to some of the classics. I read Pride and Prejudice just this last year, (yes, because of the movie) but I haven't really gotten into other classics. I need more time! Unfortunately, I don't have much of a desire to read them, because I haven't read them. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure that as soon as I start reading classics again, I'll want to continue but right now I'm stuck in a modern fantasy kick, and It'll stay that way for a while.

    Maybe I need to watch the movie first...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments.

    i have heard the bbc version is far superior, and i am looking forward to watching it soon.

    s & s and seamonsters sounds GREAT. i like fantasy/science fiction a lot too, and that sounds like a nice combination.

    ReplyDelete